Answers to the Sierra Club's At-large Candidate questionnaire. Questions are in italics, answers in regular type. Last Questions listed first.

October 7, 2007

OPEN SPACE, PARKS, & PUBLIC LANDS

OPEN SPACE, PARKS, & PUBLIC LANDS

17. Dorothea Dix hospital is scheduled to close, opening up more than 300 acres of state-owned land between downtown and N.C. State’s Centennial Campus. What do you think would be the best use of the Dorothea Dix property?

I am not sure. I've attended some of the meetings and read some about it, but not nearly enough to feel confident about exactly what needs to happen. However when dealing with environmentally sensitive lands, I think it's important to choose the less invasive options.

18. For Raleigh to continue to be a great place to live, our City needs both adequate organized recreation facilities (soccer, baseball, football fields) and to protect our best natural areas for high quality natural-resource based recreation experiences. How would you balance the needs of both? Do you believe that active recreation and nature-based recreation can coexist in the same location?

I think we need to look for locations for active recreation near areas that are already developed. There are a lot more places that a ball field or soccer field can go, than an undisturbed natural area. I don't see the need to combine them, except of course the financial reasons of Raleigh already having the land. I strongly support partnering with Wake County on combination school/park sites.

Again, the Comprehensive Plan can deal with some of these issues by identifying naturally sensitive areas.

19. The City’s park planning policy (Resolution 2003-735) ensures meaningful citizen involvement in City park planning and a healthy planning process. Will you support the use of this policy if you are elected to Council? Under what circumstances would you not support following this policy?

I would support the policy and can't imagine a situation that I wouldn't follow that policy. That policy is clearly based on increased public participation as well as environmental stewardship. The Council's and staff's increasing disregard for the public's right to be involved is the primary reason I decided to run for Council.

No comments:

About Me

I ran for City Council because Raleigh is my home and I believe I can help it to stay the healthy, uplifting place that it is. My goal on the City Council will be: first, to help the citizens of Raleigh understand what the city is doing now and why. Second, make it easier for citizens to communicate with the city and to have that communication respected and remembered. I will strive to let Raleigh’s residents to help the city in day-to-day activities -- like running a dog park. I think this will lead to more effective and less expensive solutions to Raleigh’s problems and opportunities. BIO: I'm a native of rural eastern North Carolina, moved to Raleigh in 1975 to attend NCSU, graduated, and never left the city. I worked throughout my education. My husband and I bought our house on Monroe Drive in 1989. I started working for the News and Observer's production department in 1980 and worked there until November 2006. I have participated in numerous public service initiatives, and wish to take my expertise to the next level.