Answers to the Sierra Club's At-large Candidate questionnaire. Questions are in italics, answers in regular type. Last Questions listed first.

October 7, 2007

Top Three Goals

2. What top three goals would you like to achieve during your term in office?

My top three specific goals are:

-- To make sure the redesign of the CACs includes current CAC members and other members of the public, not just staff and Council members thus increasing the effectiveness of this crucial source of citizen input.

-- To assure that the updated Comprehensive Plan is based on natural systems as is the Planning Department’s intent and includes the CAT and TTA transit plans.

-- To give all neighborhoods the chance to develop a Neighborhood Plan to address problems and protect it from inappropriate development.

Increasing citizen involvement, neighborhood protection and environmental stewardship are the general goals that will guide my decisions on Council. I believe that education, incentives, and enforcement are the best tools to use to accomplish those goals--starting with education.

No comments:

About Me

I ran for City Council because Raleigh is my home and I believe I can help it to stay the healthy, uplifting place that it is. My goal on the City Council will be: first, to help the citizens of Raleigh understand what the city is doing now and why. Second, make it easier for citizens to communicate with the city and to have that communication respected and remembered. I will strive to let Raleigh’s residents to help the city in day-to-day activities -- like running a dog park. I think this will lead to more effective and less expensive solutions to Raleigh’s problems and opportunities. BIO: I'm a native of rural eastern North Carolina, moved to Raleigh in 1975 to attend NCSU, graduated, and never left the city. I worked throughout my education. My husband and I bought our house on Monroe Drive in 1989. I started working for the News and Observer's production department in 1980 and worked there until November 2006. I have participated in numerous public service initiatives, and wish to take my expertise to the next level.